Located in Guangzhou’s Baiyun and Huadu Districts, the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport which has often been referred to as “New Baiyun” by the locals is recognized as the primary airport serving the city of Guangdong province Guangzhou, China.
The Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport additionally functions as the main hub of the world’s sixth-largest airline by passenger movement, China Southern Airlines Company as well as serving as a focus city for both the Hainan and Shenzhen Airlines .
Facts about the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
- On August 5, 2004 the at a cost of over 19 billion yuan, the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport was opened to serve as a suitable replacement for an identically named “Guangzhou Baiyun Airport” which had been in operation for the past 72-years.
- Servicing a total of over 100 destinations and many of which are domestic flights, the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport features three runways, offers over 173 aircraft parking bays, and is capable of handling over 45 million passengers each year.
- The Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport in 2014 in handing over 56 million passengers was recognized as the 16th busiest airport in the world by passenger movement and China’s second busiest airport by aircraft movements.
- The word “Baiyun” used in the name of the airport when translated from its Chinese, means “white cloud” and refers to the Baiyun Mountains located near the former airport regardless of the fact that the location of the Baiyun mountain being closer to the downtown area of Guangzhou rather than closer to the newly built airport.
- The Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport is served by the Airport South Metro Station located directly below the terminal 3 building on the Southern-Northern Express Line 3 of the state owned Guangzhou Metro system.
- Approved plans for the airport’s expansion by the National Development and Reform Commission in 2008 saw the construction of a third runway in 2014. The runway which is 3800 meters in its total length, 60 meters wide is located 400 meters east to the the airport’s east runway. The main focus of the airport’s future development has been directed at its Terminal 2 which is scheduled to consist of a 531,000 square-meter building and is expected to be equal in size to the current terminal building. Other plans for future development include new indoor and outdoor car parks, a transportation center equipped with inner-city and metro train services, and two planned branch airports in Zhaoqing and Shaoguan.
- The Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport has a current cargo capacity capable of handling one million tonnes. Future plans for the expansion of the airport includes improvements to increase the cargo capacity to more than two million tonnes by the year 2020.
- The airport authority in July 2013 signed a contract with FedEx Express to relocate its Asia-Pacific hub to the Baiyun airport in the Philippines. At the time of its opening the hub was recognized as the largest FedEx hub operating outside of the United States.
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport Webcams
The webcam link below features a live video taken from the Sheraton Macao Hotel 66 miles from the airport overlooking the city.
AIRPORT WEBCAM TAGS
- guangzhou webcam